This page, which we update periodically, lists upcoming Senior tournaments of which we aware, with links where available.
The regulations for the 2020 European individual Senior Championships, to be held in Poland during April, are now available (see below).
The German Senior tournaments calendar has been updated and we advise you to go there for information about tournaments listed there whose dates are given below. We include those which are described as Open, and are listed below, you will find links to further information on the German calendar. We do not include events which appear to be restricted to German players. A few German events listed below are not on that calendar, perhaps because they do not follow the standard German age-group rules.
We hope to add dates of other senior tournaments as they become available. Details of other continental Seniors will probably be listed later on the calendar of chess-results.com (mostly, but not only, Austrian tournaments). So far we found only the attractive Bodensee event in May.
If you know of further Senior tournaments, please inform us and we shall include them.
You do not have to wait for your birthday; you are qualified from 1 January in the year in which you reach the qualifying age. For tournaments this year, the qualifying dates for the two FIDE age groups are 31 December 1955 (for 65+) and 31 December 1970 (for 50+).
5-15 March: World Senior Team Championships at Prague, Czech Republic. Regulations and invitation in English (PDF).
* 16-22 March: 24th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. NB: This seems to be a closed event: the Open is now in December (see below), perhaps because of the proximity of dates to the above event,
* 17-27 April: European Senior Individual Championships at Jastrzebia Gora, Poland (on the Baltic Sea). Official regulations (PDF in English) are now available. The FIDE calendar says 18-28 April but that seems to be incorrect?
* 30 April-3 May: English Senior Chess Championships 50+ and 65+, separate 7-round events at Holiday Inn, Kenilworth, Warwickshire. Details from the linked URL.
16-24 May: 16th Hessische International Open Senior Championship at Bad Sooden-Allendorf. Details available from the German calendar.
17-23 May: 6th Bodensee Seniors (7 rounds) and Open (9 rounds, 16-24 May) at Bregenz, Austria, on Lake Constance, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Bregenz Chess Club. Regulations and invitation in German (PDF).
26 June-6 July: European Senior Team Championships at Wroclaw, Poland (home city of Adolf Anderssen!).
27 June-5 July: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
3-11 July: 6th Open Baden-Württemberg Senior Championship at Freudenstadt. Details available from the German calendar.
20-26 July: British 50+ and 65+ Championships (separate 7-round events) in Torquay. Followed by a 5-round event 27-31 July. Details from English Chess Federation in due course.
* 25 July-2 August: 18th Rheinland-Pfalz Senior Open at Altenkirchen/Westerwald. Details in German (PDF format).
3-9 August: 28th Open Senior Championship of Sachsen-Anhalt, at Magdeburg. Details available from the German calendar.
1-9 October: 14th Open Senior Championship of Schleswig-Holstein at Büsum. Details available from the German calendar.
13-21 October: 28th Open Saxon Senior Championship at Dresden. Details available from the German calendar.
* 5-18 November: World Senior Individual Championships 2019 at Assisi, Italy. (These are the dates now showing on the FIDE calendar but it seems to be too long. Originally 6-16 November was announced but maybe the schedule is not yet finalised.)
* 2-10 December: 20th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. Details available from the German calendar linked above.
* 23 July-1 August 2021: European Senior Team Championships at Dresden, Germany. The ECU website also says that the 2021 European Senior Individual Championship has been granted to Italy; no venue or dates yet.
Note the age qualification rules for German-language Senior events vary. It is usually 60+ for men and 50+ or 55+ for women. Check the particular details for any event that interests you.