The European Senior Championships and the World Senior Championships are now definitely postponed to 2021, possibly at the venues where they were due to be played this year. See our Seniors news page for more details.
The German Senior tournaments calendar has recently been redesigned and updated. We are in contact with Wolfgang Block who organises it.
Below you will find a list of the few German senior tournaments still scheduled for later this year. There is nothing scheduled yet for the first five months of next year and just one event in June 2021.
We include those tournaments which are described as Open, and are listed below, you will find links to further information on the German calendar. We do not include events which appear to be restricted to German players.
We are now largely suspending this service due to lack of activity until Senior tournaments resume, which we hope will be next year. But if you know of further tournaments, or cancellations, please inform us and we shall include them.
You do not have to wait for your birthday; you are qualified from 1 January in the year in which you reach the qualifying age. For tournaments this year, the qualifying dates for the two FIDE age groups are 31 December 1955 (for 65+) and 31 December 1970 (for 50+).
* 1-9 October: 14th Open Senior Championship of Schleswig-Holstein at Büsum. Nine rounds; limited to 180 participants to allow for social distancing. Download PDF details (in German).
CANCELLED: 5-14 October: ACO Senior "World Championships" at the Fodele Beach Resort, Crete, Greece. The ACO website currently has zero information about 2021.
* 13-21 October: 28th Open Saxon Senior Championship at Dresden. Nine rounds; 65+ and 50+ in one joint tournament. Entry limited to 90 participants; 45 already registered. Download PDF details (in German).
* POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR: European Senior Individual Championships at Jastrzebia Gora, Poland (on the Baltic Sea). Also the European Seniot Teams Championship which had been due to take place mid-summer in Wroclaw, Poland,
POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR: World Senior Individual Championships at Assisi. See our news page.
* 26 November-4 December: African Individual Seniors Championships at Victoria, Seychelles. This was in the FIDE calendar but we see no further information; probably it may not happen?
* 2-10 December: 20th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. For women born in 1965 or earlier, and men born 1960 or earlier. Here is a link to the organisers' website. Binz is a resort town on the Baltic Sea island of Rügen.
* 12-20 June 2021: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Nine rounds. For men and women born in 1961 or earlier. Details in German (PDF). This is currently the only scheduled Senior tournament for 2021.
* NOW UNCLEAR: 23 July-1 August 2021: European Senior Team Championships had been scheduled at Dresden, Germany. But the ECU Board decision means that Poland now have the right to organise this event, with the German rights postponed to 2022. Perhaps it is possible that Poland might decide not to run the event; we shall probably have to wait until early 2021 for more information.
Teams of four representing nations or regions; 50+ and 65+. All players on a team must be registered with FIDE and from the same federation.
Note the age qualification rules for German-language Senior events vary. It is usually 60+ for men and 50+ or 55+ for women. Check the particular details for any event that interests you.