The European Senior Team Championship (scheduled for Wroclaw, Poland in late June/July) is now marked "postponed" on the European Chess Union Calendar.
The European Senior Individual Championship may be held in October but somehow we think it is doubtful. These tournaments had a strong entry, with GM John Nunn as top seed in the 65+ age group for which he is now eligible.
The Amateur Chess Organisation (ACO) has announced the cancellation of its Seniors tournaments which had been scheduled for the Greek island of Crete in October.
Official regulations are available for the World Individual Senior Championships, scheduled for November in Assisi, Italy. We note that as yet they have not posted a list of entries. In previous years the closing date to enter without penalty has been two months but, more realistically this year, 15 October is the cut-off date.
Below you will find some details of a few German senior tournaments scheduled for August and later this year.
As usual, an asterisk beside the listing indicates that it is new or updated.
The German Senior tournaments calendar also has limited information about tournaments listed there whose dates are given below. Some tournaments later this year are mentioned but nothing in the first five months of 2021. This page does not seem to have been updated in recent weeks.
We include those tournaments which are described as Open, and are listed below, you will find links to further information on the German calendar. We do not include events which appear to be restricted to German players. A few German events listed below are not on that calendar, perhaps because they do not follow the standard German age-group rules.
We hope to add dates of other senior tournaments as they become available. Details of other continental Seniors (if they happen) may be listed later on the calendar of chess-results.com. There we found the Canadian tournament newly listed below, and a senior tournament in Uruguay (early April) which surely should be cancelled?
If you know of further Senior tournaments, or cancellations, please inform us and we shall include them.
You do not have to wait for your birthday; you are qualified from 1 January in the year in which you reach the qualifying age. For tournaments this year, the qualifying dates for the two FIDE age groups are 31 December 1955 (for 65+) and 31 December 1970 (for 50+).
POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
* NOW CANCELLED (was 3-11 July): 6th Open Baden-Württemberg Senior Championship at Freudenstadt. Details available from the German calendar.
CANCELLED (was 20-26 July): British 50+ and 65+ Championships (separate 7-round events) in Torquay.
CANCELLED: 25 July-2 August: 18th Rheinland-Pfalz Senior Open at Altenkirchen/Westerwald.
* 3-9 August: 28th Open Senior Championship of Sachsen-Anhalt, at Magdeburg. This is the earliest available Senior event of which we are aware: 7 rounds. Download PDF details (in German).
* 1-9 October: 14th Open Senior Championship of Schleswig-Holstein at Büsum. Nine rounds. Download PDF details (in German).
* CANCELLED: 5-14 October: ACO Senior "World Championships" at the Fodele Beach Resort, Crete, Greece (played in rating groups, not FIDE rated).
* 13-21 October: 28th Open Saxon Senior Championship at Dresden. Nine rounds. Download PDF details (in German).
* 16-26 October: These are the newly announced dates for the European Senior Individual Championships at Jastrzebia Gora, Poland (on the Baltic Sea). Official regulations (PDF in English) are available but as of 26 June they had not updated it with the new dates although their website had been updated. Nearer the time everything should become clearer.
* 5-18 November: World Senior Individual Championships 2019 at Assisi, Italy (11 rounds). There is no PDF yet but regulations can be seen on the organisers' website. Arrival date is 5 November, there is a rest day after 6 rounds, and the final round is on 17 November.
26 November-4 December: African Individual Seniors Championships at Victoria, Seychelles.
* 2-10 December: 20th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. Some details available from the organiser website, via German calendar linked above. (No PDF yet available.)
* 12-20 June 2021: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
* 23 July-1 August 2021: European Senior Team Championships at Dresden, Germany.
The ECU website also says that the 2021 European Senior Individual Championship has been granted to Italy; no venue or dates yet.
Note the age qualification rules for German-language Senior events vary. It is usually 60+ for men and 50+ or 55+ for women. Check the particular details for any event that interests you.