This page, which we update periodically, lists upcoming Senior tournaments of which we aware, with links where available. The regulations for the 2020 World Senior Team Championships are now available (see below).
Early in January 2020, the annual Irish 50+ and 65+ Championship is open to all (see below), although only Irish registered players can win the titles.
The German Senior tournaments calendar has been updated and we advise you to go there for information about tournaments listed there whose dates are given below. We include those which are described as Open, and are listed below, you will find links to further information on the German calendar. We do not include events which appear to be restricted to German players. A few German events listed below are not on that calendar, perhaps because they do not follow the standard German age-group rules.
We hope to add dates of other senior tournaments as they become available. Details of other continental Seniors will probably be listed later on the calendar of chess-results.com (mostly, but not only, Austrian tournaments). So far we found only the atractive Bodensee event in May.
If you know of further Senior tournaments, please inform us and we shall include them.
You do not have to wait for your birthday; you are qualified from 1 January in the year in which you reach the qualifying age. For tournaments this year the qualifying dates for the two FIDE age groups are 31 December 1954 (for 65+) and 31 December 1969 (for 50+). For 2020 they are one year later: 1955 and 1970.
2-7 January Irish 50+ and 65+ Championships in Dublin. Both age groups in one 7-round FIDE-rated Swiss over five days. This will be the third year of this popular event. Overseas entries accepted.
6-15 January: Bremen Open Senior Championship. Details available from the German calendar linked above.
* 18-25 January : Marienbad 50+ Seniors (9 rounds), at Marianske Lazne, western Bohemia, alongside an Open, round-robin GM and IM tournaments, and other events, as part of the 2019/2020 Czech Tour. With 65+ and Women's prizes. Details of all the tournaments (PDF in English). Open to players born in 1969 or earlier. We personally recommend the Continental Hotel.
28 January-6 February: 36th Open Berlin Senior Individual Championship. Details available from the German calendar.
5-15 March: World Senior Team Championships at Prague, Czech Republic. Regulations and invitation in English (PDF).
16-22 March: 24th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. Details available from the German calendar linked above.
17-27 April: European Senior Individual Championships at Jastrzebia Gora, Poland (on the Baltic Sea).
* 30 April-3 May (TBC): English Senior Chess Championships 50+ and 65+, separate 7-round events at Holiday Inn, Kenilworth, Warwickshire.
16-24 May: 16th Hessische International Open Senior Championship at Bad Sooden-Allendorf. Details available from the German calendar.
* 17-23 May: 6th Bodensee Seniors (7 rounds) and Open (9 rounds, 16-24 May) at Bregenz, Austria, on Lake Constance, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Bregenz Chess Club. Regulations and invitation in German (PDF).
26 June-6 July: European Senior Team Championships at Wroclaw, Poland (home city of Adolf Anderssen!).
* 27 June-5 July: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
* 3-11 July: 6th Open Baden-Württemberg Senior Championship at Freudenstadt. Details available from the German calendar.
* 20-26 July: British 50+ and 65+ Championships (separate 7-round events) in Torquay. Followed by a 5-round event 27-31 July. Details from English Chess Federation in due course.
25 July-2 August: 18th Rheinland-Pfalz Senior Open at Altenkirchen/Westerwald. Details available from the German calendar.
* 3-9 August: 28th Open Senior Championship of Sachsen-Anhalt, at Magdeburg. Details available from the German calendar.
* 1-9 October: 14th Open Senior Championship of Schleswig-Holstein at Büsum. Details available from the German calendar.
* 13-21 October: 28th Open Saxon Senior Championship at Dresden. Details available from the German calendar.
6-16 November: World Senior Individual Championships 2019 at Assisi, Italy.
* 23 July-1 August 2021: European Senior Team Championships at Dresden, Germany. The ECU website also says that the 2021 European Senior Individual Championship has been granted to Italy; no venue or dates yet.
Note the age qualification rules for German-language Senior events vary. It is usually 60+ for men and 50+ or 55+ for women. Check the particular details for any event that interests you.