To our great surprise, it appears that a Senior chess tournament in Bavaria, the Open Senior Championship of Oberfranken, is announced as going ahead from 26 June to 4 July. 28 players have entered so far, from four countries.
It looks very attractive. We envy these brave pioneers who will blaze a trail for socially distanced over-the-board chess. "Who dares, wins"!
See also our news page and the tournament listing below.
The European Senior Team Championship (scheduled for Wroclaw, Poland in late June/July) is now marked "postponed" on the European Chess Union Calendar. The European Senior Individual Championship may be held in October. These tournaments had a strong entry, with GM John Nunn as top seed in the 65+ age group for which he is now eligible. There is a chance this event may happen.
Rather surprisingly, official regulations are available for the World Individual Senior Championships, scheduled for November, because it is supposed to take place in Italy, the country in the world that is worst affected by Covid-19. Even should the pandemic end in good time, it is hard to believe that Italy will be capable of hosting it, though time will tell.
In previous years the closing date to enter without penalty has been two months but, more realistically this year, 15 October is the cut-off date.
We advise you to go to the German Senior tournaments calendar for information about tournaments listed there whose dates are given below. But they did not list the Oberfranken tournament.
We include those tournaments which are described as Open, and are listed below, you will find links to further information on the German calendar. We do not include events which appear to be restricted to German players. A few German events listed below are not on that calendar, perhaps because they do not follow the standard German age-group rules.
We hope to add dates of other senior tournaments as they become available. Details of other continental Seniors (if they happen) may be listed later on the calendar of chess-results.com. There we found the Canadian tournament newly listed below, and a senior tournament in Uruguay (early April) which surely should be cancelled?
If you know of further Senior tournaments, or cancellations, please inform us and we shall include them.
You do not have to wait for your birthday; you are qualified from 1 January in the year in which you reach the qualifying age. For tournaments this year, the qualifying dates for the two FIDE age groups are 31 December 1955 (for 65+) and 31 December 1970 (for 50+).
* POSTPONED INDEFINITELY (was to have been 30 April-3 May): English Senior Chess Championships; 50+ and 65+, separate 7-round events at Holiday Inn, Kenilworth, Warwickshire. May be rescheduled later in the year: check the ECF website if conditions radically improve.
* 12-14 June: British Columbia Senior (and Adult) Championships at Victoria BC, Canada. It has now been announced that this event will be played online!
* GOING AHEAD! (26 June-4 July): 37th Open Senior Championship of Oberfranken, at Bischofsgrün im Fichtelgebirge, Bavaria. Nine rounds; players born 1965 or earlier. Their website has some information in English as well as German.
* NOW POSTPONED (was 26 June-6 July): European Senior Team Championships at Wroclaw, Poland (home city of Adolf Anderssen!).
* POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
* NOW CANCELLED (was 3-11 July): 6th Open Baden-Württemberg Senior Championship at Freudenstadt. Details available from the German calendar.
CANCELLED (was 20-26 July): British 50+ and 65+ Championships (separate 7-round events) in Torquay.
CANCELLED: 25 July-2 August: 18th Rheinland-Pfalz Senior Open at Altenkirchen/Westerwald.
3-9 August: 28th Open Senior Championship of Sachsen-Anhalt, at Magdeburg. Details available from the German calendar.
1-9 October: 14th Open Senior Championship of Schleswig-Holstein at Büsum. Details available from the German calendar.
* 5-14 October: ACO Senior "World Championships" at the Fodele Beach Resort, Crete, Greece (played in rating groups, not FIDE rated). These are the annual fake Senior Championships, but reportedly an enjoyable holiday event. PDF Regulations in English (sorry we previously linked to the 2019 event.)
13-21 October: 28th Open Saxon Senior Championship at Dresden. Details available from the German calendar.
* 16-26 October: These are the newly announced dates for the European Senior Individual Championships at Jastrzebia Gora, Poland (on the Baltic Sea). Official regulations (PDF in English) are available but last time we looked they had not updated it with the new dates..
* 5-18 November: World Senior Individual Championships 2019 at Assisi, Italy (11 rounds). There is no PDF yet but regulations can be seen on the organisers' website. Arrival date is 5 November, there is a rest day after 6 rounds, and the final round is on 17 November.
* 26 November-4 December: African Individual Seniors Championships at Victoria, Seychelles.
2-10 December: 20th Mecklenburg-Verpommen Open Senior Championship at Binz. Details available from the German calendar linked above.
* 12-20 June 2021: 32nd Bavarian Open Senior Championship at Bergen/Chiemgau. Details available from the German calendar.
* 23 July-1 August 2021: European Senior Team Championships at Dresden, Germany.
The ECU website also says that the 2021 European Senior Individual Championship has been granted to Italy; no venue or dates yet.
Note the age qualification rules for German-language Senior events vary. It is usually 60+ for men and 50+ or 55+ for women. Check the particular details for any event that interests you.